Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Should my mom be forcing me to get confirmed?

gift ideas for women aged 90
 on Love Mature Women T-Shirts, I Love Mature Women Gifts, Artwork ...
gift ideas for women aged 90 image



Cece


I've been raised catholic, but religion isn't a hugely important part of my life. This year is the year I should be getting Confirmed, but I have a problem : The classes run until September, every single Sunday from 5-8 and I have to attend at least 90% of classes to be confirmed. The thing is that I already have Hockey on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Guitar on Wednesdays and Drama on Fridays. I'm afraid that making a commitment when I've already got so much on will cause a lot of stress and anxiety, especially when I feel it's not vitally important for me to get confirmed right now. However, my Mother is forcing me to do it as she thinks I should have no say in the matter. I've tried talking to her but she won't relent. What should I do?


Answer
Goodness, Cece, you do have a busy schedule. I can see why you are concerned about stress. I would be concerned, too.
Maybe you could try this. Go to your guitar and drama teachers and explain that you will need to skip their classes for a few weeks ... that you enjoy you lessons with them but that you mother wants you to go to Confirmation classes and that you canât do both at the same time. And tell them that once you have finished taking the Confirmation classes you will begin your classes with them again. Most adults, priests, and teachers will understand that you will need to do what your mother and father are telling you to do ... especially since i am guessing that you are about 11 or 12 years old since that is about the age Confirmation classes are usually give to young men and women. Most adults will not tell your parents how to raise you unless they are abusing you in some way --- like beating you or something.
If it helps you at all to know this, your mother wouldnât be insisting that you take your Confirmation classes unless she loved you ---- parents who love their children want them to learn about their religion ---- it is a gift that their parents gave them and that they want to give you, too.
I am 61 years old but it wasn't until I grew up that i finally learned that the greatest gift my parents gave me was Jesus and their Christian faith. But when I was your age, my parents had to force my sisters and me to go to Sunday school and church, too. In fact, they forced us to go until we were 16 years old ... but even then they preferred us to go. We didnât want to go just like you donât right now.
And who knows, if you have any questions about Jesus and your religion, the teacher and classes might answer them for you and your religion might become more important to you that it is now.
The reason that I suggested that you take a break from your guitar and drama classes is because hockey is seasonal so you wouldnât be able to take a break from that without affecting your hockey playing. But your guitar and drama shouldnât be affected in the least if you take a temporary break ... in fact, it might be nice for your to take a break from them ... you even might enjoy them even more when you start them again.
I hope that gives you an idea you can use, Cece. I will be praying for you and your parents.

Depressed that I'll never be a tennis player?







I am 15 & I have been playing tennis competitively my entire life. As I have always loved tennis and it's always been my top priority, the professional playing tennis career ship has sailed. Let's face it, the women on tour were already pro by my age. I do play tournaments, and I will soon reach my national ranking, but it's like, I'll never be a pro tennis player- it's not a realistic goal anymore. That bothers me more than anything. :( I just feel like no matter what I will pursue in my life, it's nothing compared to my dream of being a tennis player. I have mental breakdowns every week. I try talking to God about it as much as I can. It sucksso bad living with this weight on my shoulders. My GPAin school is declining and I'm losing interest in the things I used to enjoy as well. I don't talk to people anymore and my relationship with my family is terrible. I've just been so depressed these past few months - my dreams are gone and its so hard to feel that pain :( I love tennis so much. i have been thinking about being homeschool and playing w/ an academy but that ship has sailed
somebody please talk to me
this is a freaking problem
teaching tennis just seems too depressing for me - if u think abt it :(



Answer
I hope what you've written here is true, since I spent some time replying to this question!!!

You ARE a tennis player!!! A dang nationally ranked player!! Holy $%^&. I was never nationally ranked. A lot of players never get to be; think of *them.*

I suggest you go to a sport psychologist. A very, very famous world #1 player went to one, so you could, too.

***Let's face it, the women on tour were already pro by my age.***

How are you defining the word "pro?" The WTA singles list has about 1000 players on it. Are they all pro's? I ask you that because 80-90% of them are losing money if they're traveling all over the world. Only the top 200 or so are earning more than their expenses.

The absolute minimum age for playing a tour-level event is 14, and they have very strict requirements about how many events a player this young can participate in. 15-year-olds can play more events than 14-year-olds, but again, there are limitations. Chris Evert "arrived" when she was 15, defeating World #1 Margaret Court, but that was *very* unusual, and it still is.

At the other end of the age spectrum, we have Kamiko Date-Krumm, definitely NOT a 15-year old!
http://www.wtatennis.com/players/player/1860/title/kimiko-date-krumm
2012 - 1970 = ?

***I will soon reach my national ranking, but it's like, I'll never be a pro tennis player- it's not a realistic goal anymore.***

College tennis isn't good enough for you? Geez. I thought college tennis was pretty cool.

Actually, if you're good enough to be nationally ranked in the 16's in the USA, then you are already *approaching* [on your way to] a skill level that's commensurate for the pro's. Whether that skill level is [NTRP] 5.0, or 5.5, or 6.0, I have no idea. The *bottom* 400 or 500 players on the WTA tour are roughly 6.0 to 6.5. The only ones who are 7.0 would be top 150 or so.

***teaching tennis just seems too depressing for me - if u think abt it***
So, helping other people depresses you? Hmph.

***I try talking to God about it as much as I can.***
I would talk to a priest, rabbi, cleric, etc about it, and start attending a religious service somewhere once a week. Players on the tour have problems in this area too, and often seek help in spiritual activity. You are not alone in this predicament.

***somebody please talk to me this is a freaking problem***

T

No comments:

Post a Comment