Friday, November 29, 2013

How should I go about asking how I can help with a family going through a hard time?

gift for women going through chemo
 on Tips for Women With Cancer  Beauty Tips for Women in Chemotherapy ...
gift for women going through chemo image



Power


I worked for a man who was very helpful to me at a time when I needed help. We have remained friends even though I haven't worked for him for years. He now has a brother who just lost his wife to cancer. The brother has a daughter that had cancer years ago & was doing well & now a month after her mother died she has found out she has inoperable cancer.

I am assuming this means she will go through chemo. I don't know but I know it has to be draining for the family grieving & now going through this. I want to help out. I can go over & help with her care or talk on the phone with anyone who wants to be uplifted cause I have been through a lot in my live.

How do I tell my friend that I can help out. I don't want to seem arrogant or like I am just saying I will help but really not do anything. I don't know if they have a lot of help because they are a large family. They may have a large church. There are about 30 miles away so they are not in my neighborhood.

How does one approach this. We want to help but have no clue as to how to really do that without interferring. What is the etiquette on this. Any ideas about how to act or what not to say or do would be helpful. Thank you.



Answer
What I would say would be this:

You have been there for everyone else and now we are going to be there for you. I know how difficult it is right now and you were there for me. This isn't a question. I'm telling you that I'm (we) are going to help. It would probably be best if you told me what the best way to do that would be.

You could then list the ways that you have already thought of and ask what they think.

Possibly a silent auction, where the proceeds go to the family. Typically, large hotel chains will 'gift' a ballroom or banquet rooms for charitable events like that (if it doesn't fall on a day/evening where they have something already booked). You (and or friends) can go around to various local businesses and ask if they would like to contribute to the silent auction, the proceeds going directly to this wonderful family. Maybe 10 free car details, 10 free cinema passes and snacks, a free health-club membership, 5 free doggie washes and a new leash, a 3-day cruise from a travel group, free dinner for 2 at local restaurants, free 12 week yoga or Pilates classes, a free 10-speed bike, free mani/pedi, free wash & blow-out, weekend pass for Disneyland, tickets to a live TV show with autographs of cast members, free helicopter lessons, free giant swag bag from beauty supply shop, free gift basket from Starbuck's with 10 free coffee card, gifts cards from local fast food places, etc. etc. The sky is the limit there. Obviously the local biz's would be promoted, (great way to advertise locally), it brings the community together, and it's a win-win.

Everything is donated and the adverts go up all over town (theirs as well as yours'). Everyone bids on the items and you can bring in thousands for this family who obviously are in desperate need of help. The family members can all participate and be included in asking for donated goods/services in the area.(and they'll feel closely involved, which is good). Party supply stores and florists would donate arrangements, balloons, etc. Even local bands will donate their services to a good cause. (in fact, many very large celebs will donate their time to similar events).

Holding local car washes, bake-sales, dog-washing days. Those can and will all bring in help (funds) for the family.

The above was arranged by the cast(s) of Bold & the Beautiful and the Young & the Restless for the family of a man that most had never met. He was the husband of a woman who was a teacher of one of the B&B cast members. She inquired why her child's teacher hadn't been to school and was informed about the fact that he was diagnosed with brain cancer; his wife was left with young children. Both casts showed up and were happy to be a part of this meet/greet for the benefit of this family. The silent auctions and various other events were also successful. So, I know that these events can and will be of great benefit.

And this wasn't a question. It was "this is what we're doing, period".

There are times where beating around the bush and tip-toeing around a tragedy just doesn't work. The situation may be bigger than they are. In those cases, it takes caring people to intervene and just DO vs. agonise over it. Don't worry about all of the little details and roadblocks because planning and organising events like above aren't easy. But by doing this you really will help them. It also brings in hundreds of locals who will be offering them help as well. (going to speak to the congregation of their church would be a great way to enlist help with this massive undertaking), so make sure to inquire about which church it is and when services are.

Be definitive and matter-of-fact. Say "you know that you wouldn't take no for an answer. You've helped others before and now we are helping you". I guarantee that many of the family members (although large) may be at a loss as to how to bring in needed funds, etc. This will be a way of bringing everyone together and really helping them.

Care basket for woman going through chemo?




Sunshine


My boyfriends mom is going through chemo currently. He is going home for Christmas and I would like to send a nice gift/care package. What kinds of things should I put in? Useful, cheerful, things to pass the time, things to help with the side effects...any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Answer
A basic chemo basket might include:

-Unscented lotion. Chemo patient often suffer from dry skin. Make sure it's hypoallergenic.
-Lemon drops or sugarless gum. Chemo can affect the taste buds and lemon or gum can can cut "chemo mouth".
-Hats/scarves. Not all chemo regimens cause hair loss but many do. Most breast cancer regimens, for instance, result in total or near total hair loss.
-Hand sanitizer. Chemo affects the production of white blood cells so chemo patients have to be extra careful to stay germ-free.
-Travel tissues. Disappearing nose hairs result in a constantly dripping nose!
-A water bottle. Chemo patients need to drink a ton of water to stay hydrated.
-Crackers or other small travel snacks. Eating small amounts of food frequently can help ward off nausea.

You might want to give her a comfy blanket. Chemo is exhausting and as a chemo patient she may spend a lot of time crashed out on the couch. It's nice to have something to curl up in.

Books or audiobooks are also good. I'd keep it light, both in terms of subject matter and difficulty level. I'm a pretty voracious reader but since starting chemo I haven't been able to concentrate on anything too heavy. I loved Tina Fey's Bossypants.

Do you know if there a

No comments:

Post a Comment