Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What will happen at British Customs with an expensive gift?

gift for her london
 on London Photography Tour | Gift ideas for her
gift for her london image



Alex


I am traveling to London. I am a US citizen visiting a relative who is also a US citizen. I purchased an item worth $550 USD in the USA and would like to give it to my relative in London. What implications are there with British Customs ,if any, that I need to be aware of?


Answer
Officially you are authorized to bring in a $250 gift tax-free, but I would go with âThatâs meâsâ advice.

Travelling to the UK from outside the European Union (EU)
When travelling from a non-EU country (including the Canary Islands, the Channel islands and Gibraltar) you can bring the following into the UK for your own use without paying UK tax or duty:
ïï 200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; or 50 cigars; or 250g of tobacco
ïï 60cc of perfume
ïï 2 litres of still table wine
ïï 250cc of eau de toilette
ïï 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22 per cent volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine*, sparkling wine or other liqueurs *such as port or sherry and
ïï Â£145 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs.

Source:
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010220&propertyType=document#downloadopt

What kind of gift should I get a Photography Lover?







My friend has been staying with me for about two weeks and is about to head back home to london. But before he leaves, I want to get him something nice. He is an avid photography lover so I would like to get him something in that area of interest.

However, I can't really afford something like a brand new camera or anything. What would you recommend I get him? I was thinking something to help clean his camera, or help take better pictures.



Answer
I don't know if you have time for the shipping, but if he doesn't have a custom camera strap you might get him one. http://www.highkeycamera.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment