Monday, November 25, 2013

What should I get my friend for his 18th birthday?

gift for her 80th birthday
 on 80TH HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUM CARD AND MAGNET 80 TODAY GIFT | eBay
gift for her 80th birthday image



Nick


I want to get a couple gifts for my buddy: 1 gift that I can give to him in front of his parents, and another 1 that has a pretty good significance to being 18. Got any ideas?


Answer
For the less risque one:

Overstock.com sells brand-name stuff at seriously discounted prices like ~80% off and they everything for only $2.95. I have been using it to buy gifts or just get ideas for many years now.

Some of the stuff I grabbed from their site that they have includes:
bed-and-bath, home decor, furniture, handmade goods, kitchenware, watches, jewelry, computers and electronics, sporting goods, apparel and designer accessories, books, magazines, CD's, DVD's, videocassettes and video games

The deal below gets you some $$$ off if you spend more than $100 bucks.

Hope this is helpful.

http://bit.ly/OverstockDeal

Is making an 8 year old child pay for something she broke using her birthday money too severe a punishment?

Q. My 8 year old gets very upset sometimes and occasionally will throw anything that is within her reach. This time what she threw broke and is unusable. The cost to replace the item is $40.00. I said that she will need to give me that money from her birthday money (that she has been saving up for something) to purchase a new one.

I need to teach her that her actions have consequences but is this too severe a punishment?


Answer
No, this is not a severe punishment. You did the right things.

This is one of those punishments that hurt the parent as much as the child yet it is something they will learn from and remember.

When my middle daughter was around 8 or so she loved dolls. Every chance she got she would get a new doll. She had a birthday and got a lot of money or gift cards. She had wanted to buy the new Baby Alive doll. It had just come out and was around $80!

Now we knew that was what she wanted for her birthday but it was just to much for us to buy. We knew withiin a few weeks or so she wouldn't play with it. Or it would break. So we had told her could buy it on her own if she got enough birthday money. We got her something else we knew she'd like, use and enjoy.

She got about $80 in birthday money. She wanted the doll but we encouraged her to pick other things so she could buy herself a few different kinds of gifts. Plus we reminded her how much $80 is. She wanted the doll and we let her buy it.

Ofcourse it was forgotten by the end of the year. Since it was near Christmas she wanted to use some Christmas money to get herself a gift. Looking around the store and seeing the doll she bought she said "I wish I would have listend and not $80. That is a lot for a doll that is boring." Lol

My point is . . . at the time I felt like a bad mom letting her spend $80 on a doll. I felt it wasted money and knew she could have gotten herself something else she'd enjoy. But I learned that she would remember that lesson in the future.

She did too. A year or so later we had a yard sale and my daughter wanted to sell the doll. I tried to explain that at yard sales items sell for a cheap price. She was shocked to hear that her doll she spent $80 on would gain her only $2 or so. Ofcourse the doll didn't work either but someone wanted to buy, we told them it didn't work and the little girl didn't care. She just wanted a doll.

Even now at 11 my daughter remembers that tough lesson.

So let your 8yr old pay for the broken item. She needs to learn this hard lesson and most likely she will think twice before she breaks something else again.

As for her anger . . . teach her other ways to express it. Stomping her feet, saying she is mad or punching a pillow it is a good safe way to express it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment