Saturday, February 8, 2014

Christian/Jewish/Islamic Women: Our Religions are all Patriarchal, no serious leadership rols for women do you




Marvelissa


feel that Women's Rights are something that each and every woman all over the world deserve and have a right to?

Also, would you be willing to lobby for a protect Women's Rights?

I ask this of all three groups, because the fundamental practice of any of these religions are Patriarchal and I think when put into practice fundamentally can be dangerous for women on so many levels.

Your thoughts? (men are welcome to answer too)
please excuse the typos - I was typing too quickly on a dinosaur of a computer.
LOL - Deke, yes, although I fear I may be publicly stoned for saying this, I think the evidence of Dinosaurs is just too much to ignore. I'm a Christian, I'm not ignorant. Silly boy.
Shpicey - thank you for articulating what the questions behind my question are.

And to Pastor Art - I HAVE read Job. I've read all of the books of the Bible - most more than 2 or 3 times. I simply don't pretent to interpret them with 100% certainty in an effort to keep myself superior to anyone else.
I am totally wearing pearls and gold to church on Sunday. Heck, I may even braid my hair!
Aliya - I'm with you - I don't care for the sexual objectification of women either. That's not what I'm going for. I'm speaking more of the "submission" issues.



Answer
Thank-you for your question. Even though I wouldn't be able to agree with women of other faiths on certain issues, I would be able to agree on this one. I would feel so much better about certain religions or groups (including my own) if I could see more deserving women allowed to use their God-given gifts.

If anyone has been given a special ability by God, isn't it a sign that it should be put to good use? Wouldn't it be an affront to God not to? Is it not a significant stumbling block to the person with the abilities to exclude them based on our backward fear-based cultural biases?

edit. There is progress being made, however, often the discrimination is a financial one. Women can volunteer...donating their gifts on a part time basis, much to the detriment of their need for rest and recreation and time with families. What kind of equality is that?

Do Jewish women in Israel have to cover their hair or wear wigs and are there stores in Israel for women only?




bulldog br





Answer
The is no law in Israel that suggests that a woman has to cover her hair. The far majority of Israeli women don't: The only women who cover their hair in Israel are Muslim women and ultra-Orthodox Jewish women, and of course Catholic Nuns. There is an ultra-Orthodox custom for a woman not to show her real hair, in which case they wear wigs; however, it's a custom for them and it's not applicable to most other women. I will say that certain neighborhoods and towns in Israel do expect a woman not to reveal her hair. These include the really ultra-Orthodox ones like the town of Bnei Barak or the neighborhood of Mea Shearim, or the more Islamic ones like Um al-Falm and many others.

There are stores in Israel that are for women. However, I am unaware if there is a store that a man can't enter. A store for women to me means a store that sells things that typically only women would wear or use; however, that doesn't mean that they exclude men from entering and buying the product for the woman. Basically, a guy going into Victoria's Secret to buy his girlfriend a gift. I have never encountered a store in Israel that forbids men from entering, even if it's designed for women only. Ones in more religious neighborhoods might forbid men, but I do stress that they are rare.

So, basically, note that most women in Israel don't wear wigs or cover their hair, and that most stores, if not all, are open to male customers even if they sell female products.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment