Friday, February 21, 2014

Ideas for funny & cheap wedding gifts?




monkeyalie


My buddy's getting married. He loves duct tape, whiskey, & someone's homemade parsley brandy. We often draw on his face when he passes out at parties. I'm thinking about getting him something that tastes funny, I claim is liquor, & he'll drink a lot of; or T-shirts about how he's "tagged";but I'd like to make something that looks nice, is useless, & frustrates them like a puzzle box or fully furnished see-through bird houses. Any ideas? Or plans for a puzzle box that's very difficult to open?


Answer
Who doesn't love duct tape? It's what keeps my car bumper from dragging as I speed down the highway on my way to work. I would suggest fake lottery tickets so they think they won a lot of money (can be bought at Spencers), empty gift cards, or a gift card for a store that's no longer in business like Circuit City (although I heard they are still in business up in Canada), or just go to Goodwill and buy a random, useless item (to them). I heard of a story where someone received a wrong sized blanket and couldn't return it since the UPC code was blacked out w/ a Sharpie so if you don't want to go to Goodwill and have an old crappy gift from Aunt Hilda, just re-gift that. Just find the first piece of crap you see and wrap it up. You could also try making the puzzle box with the instructions that I sent you. If they get it open, you could have duct tape in it, waiting for them. Oh, wait. I have the best idea! When I got married, I had to sit through a boring story of how my in-laws received a trash can filled with label-less aluminium cans of food given by the best man. They had to open each can to see what was in it, and then they felt compelled to use whatever was in the can. Hell if I know why they didn't just trash the items but whatever. Some people are extremely cheap/tight with their money. My father-in-law was one of those people. You could do something like that. Just go to a dented can store and buy crap that's priced at a few cents, tear off the labels and gift it.

Feel Funny About Gift.?




Born Valen


I saw this nice pewter tray with a man with a scythe chafing wheat or proper term needed here. On it says "Give us this day our daily bread." I saw it on a Friday and said to myself: It's neat but a little different with a funny feeling. On Saturday my mom tells me she got it as a gift from my brother's girlfriend. The girl said to my mom: "My mother (deceased) had one just like it, and I decided to get you one. My mother felt bad and thought to herself why give a gift that most likely was her mothers? or something that resembeled what her mother had?

I am just curious. My mom even feels strange about the gift as well. Yes, we are religious but there's a funny feeling to the gift.
Anyone explain? Would you buy a gift and then say this.
It's an antique.



Answer
I understand the gift and the giver's sentiment. What I don't understand is yours and your mom's reaction to the gift.

"Give us this day our daily bread" is part of the Lord's Prayer in the Bible. I am acquainted with the pewter tray you are describing. It's quite lovely.
It is a heartfelt gesture to say that you are offering someone a gift that either reminds you of your own mom or maybe even used to belong to your own mom (although she didn't say that it once was her mothers. By the way, it would have to be an antique because that image of the man and scythe chafing wheat is not on those pewter trays that are being sold today anymore)
It's quite endearing and sweet in its intent and both of you are suspicious. Sad the entire meaning behind this gift and the motivation of the giver is lost on the two of you. She was just simply offering you something from her heart and memories.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment