Friday, February 21, 2014

Are you Suppost to tip your UPS man/woman during the holidays?

Q.


Answer
Here is what I found on the internet:

CHILD CARE

Babysitter 1 evening's pay + small gift from child
Au pair 1 week's pay or a gift + small gift from child
Nanny 1 week's to 1 month's pay + small gift from child
Daycare providers $20-$70/each + small gift from child
Child's teacher Gift (but check school's policy to see if it's allowed)
Coaches, tutors, music teachers,
ballet instructors, etc: A small gift from the child

HOME/CAR CARE

Housekeeper 1 week's pay or more (depending on length of service)
Trash collectors $15-$20 each
Parking attendants $10-$35 each or up to half a month's parking bill for the group if they regularly provide extra service
Gardener $20-$50. If the gardener's last job before spring is a fall clean up, it's best to tip in the fall

APARTMENT SERVICE
Doormen $25-$100 each (those who provide the most service for you should get more than those whom you barely see)
Superintendent/custodian $50-$300 (tip more if there's no doorman and the service has been particularly attentive, but tip less if you tip throughout the year)
Porters/handymen $10-$50 each
Elevator operators $15-$40 each

PERSONAL CARE

Hairdresser Cost of 1 cut (or $20-$100) if you go frequently + small gift
Manicurist Cost of 1 session (or $10-$50) + small gift
Personal trainer $25 up to 1 week's pay (or cost of 1 session)
Massage therapist $50-$100 or cost of 1 session

PET CARE

Dog groomer Small gift + 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of 1 session
Dog walker/regular dog sitter Cost of 1-2 week's pay (as with a nanny, a small gift is optional)

DELIVERY SERVICES

U.S. mail carrier Gifts under $20*
UPS Company policy discourages drivers from accepting tips, but they can accept something of nominal value. Tipping guides offer $15 as a guideline, but the amount and choice of gift are up to you.
FedEx Company policy does not permit cash tips, but a gift worth up to $25 is okay.
Paper carrier $15-$25 for daily delivery ($5-$15 for weekend delivery)
*Civil servants are not allowed to receive cash tips. But if you wish to recognize your mail carrier, the U.S. Postal Service asks that your gratuity not exceed $20 in cash value.

What do you think of this gift?




R H


6 short-stemmed roses for Valentine's Day?
So I was excited to get a delivery of flowers from my long-distance boyfriend today, since Valentine's Day is not really his thing. When I opened the box though, I was a bit underwhelmed. It contained 6 short-stemmed roses with baby's breath, a small box of chocolates, and a weird red heart-shaped thing with wires and a hole in the center. I wasn't sure exactly what to do with the red thing, so I thought if I went on the 1-800-flowers website that there would be a picture of how to put it in a vase or whatever. I couldn't find it anywhere on the website, but the more I looked at the beautiful arrangements available, literally every single one of which looked more impressive, the worse I felt, which I know is stupid, but maybe it is meaningful somehow? We have been together for 5 years or so, and he would not have trouble affording something else.
So should I try to be glad he got me something, or is this really a sign of the fact that he does not care very much (like he cares only enough to go through the motions)?
I usually get him something like a nice scarf or a sweater and some of his favorite chocolates, but this year I wasn't going to, because last year he made some comment like "oh, it's Valentine's Day, I guess that means I have to get you something," in the morning, and then he still didn't, so it's not like he just forgot, but more like he wanted to make sure I knew that he knew.



Answer
I personally would take such a gift as an insult. It's all too easy to get the common flowers and/or candy. If a dude cares about me, he better get something I'd actually like. It's books for me.

But you know what, I was listening to Dr. Laura the other day and she was talking about how many men say their ladies don't motivate them throughout the rest of the year to make them get all excited and go all out to please their woman on Valentine's Day. It makes sense. If you're a nagging witch the rest of the year who criticizes and you don't do everything you can to keep your man happy, why would you expect him to feel all lovey dovey on Valentine's?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment