Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How to work Jaymar children's sewing machine?

gifts for her 70th
 on 1941 Fabulous Gifts For Her Fridge Magnet
gifts for her 70th image



wanderingn


I received this little metal red machine as a gift in the 70's. It runs on batteries. However, I do not have the instructions and am puzzled as to how it would actually sew because there is not a "bobbin". If I sew, it sews just the top thread which pulls out since there is no bobbin thread. Ideas?


Answer
That's a single thread chainstitch machine, from the sound of it. http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm Although there were some home machines made on that design early on, the disadvantage was that the stitching could be readily torn out. (My mother in law used to pick out a seam in her dress when she wanted to be sent home from school -- the family sewing machine was a Willcox and Gibbs chain stitcher.)

If you leave long tails of thread at the beginning and end of seams, you can secure them by threading the tail in a hand sewing needle, taking a few backstitches, and then pulling the end of the thread through the last loop and burying the end. If that makes no sense, I'll do you a photo tutorial of that finish. That'll work unless you've got busy little fingers like my mother in law's. <g>

How many gifts are you getting your kids for Christmas?




Natasha


I have three kids. I'm getting them 5 each. I shopped Black Friday so some gifts vary from $4 to $30. Grandma gets them the big gifts. We have a big family so we have nephews, brothers, sisters and in-laws. Happy Holidays.


Answer
I am a kid, well teen. From my main parent I get about two or three larger gifts about $75 in price or one huge gift like $300 then about three-five things between $5 and $70 and then one to two stockings filled with about ten-thirty items total of stuff mostly around $1-5 but a few things around $10
then another person who's like a second parent to me/was a parent kinda to me at one point gets me one thing usually just $15-50 or a giftcard equivalent to that
so from "parents/parent figures"
i get around eight things excluding stocking and about thirty things if you include stocking stuffers and get all in total like $500 i guess spent on me by parents/parent figures




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment