Thursday, November 21, 2013

Need help with a Mother's day gift! Any good gardening things out there?

gifts for her garden
 on Garden + Outdoor : Gifts for Her : Gift Giving : Target | Shop home ...
gifts for her garden image



J


My father passed away a couple months ago and I want to get my mom something special. She loves to garden and my dad and her use to share that bond. Is there any new great gardening tools or things out there that you recommend?


Answer
Sorry abou your dad. Looks like your mom will have to alter some of her jobs. I am an older woman and would recomend an electric tiller, potting bench or an outdoor watering station. The tiller is light weight, there are a bunch of benches and the watering is handy when you're pulling weeds on an easier after the rain day and don't want to mess up inside. Good luck!

How big of a garden does one need to live off of it all year round with different fruits and veggies?




x s


How big of a garden does one need to live off of it all year round with different fruits and veggies?


Answer
Hello x s,

I guess I was to poor to know the difference. I have always lived off my garden and fruit trees. Even today we have a 20x20 feet garden. We buy no vegetables or fruits (except watermelons) from the grocery stores. I can taste the chemicals farmers use on their vegetables they sell in grocery stores. A person could easily live off of a 10x10 feet (no melons) garden.

We give alway more vegetables and fruits than we can eat. This year we canned over 30 quart jars of tomatoes. Each Christmas, our relatives and friends will receive a big basket as a gift. Inside is a red and white checked table cloth, 1 quart jar mixed yellow and red tomatoes, 1 quart jar pickled beets, 1 quart jar pickled green cherry tomatoes, 1 quart jar carrots, 1 quart jar plum jam, 5 Ruby Red Gradefruit, 10 lemons, a bag of dried figs, and 15 Mandarin Oranges. They love us at Christmas. I also have nine rare fruit trees.

In order to live all year round, you would need to live in a place like Southern California. Today my garden still has tomatoes, green beans, garlic, onions, eggplants, brussel sprouts, and bell peppers.

You would need good soil. I use no chemicals or pesticides. I use home made compost and chicken manure to enrich my soil. Good soil produces twice the yields of bad soil.

If you wanted a variety all year long, you would have to learn to can your vegetables and fruits. We have enough canned vegetables to last us all winter.

Your question: A 10x10 feet garden is more than enough area. If you want four (4) dwaft fruit trees, than you would need a 20x20 feet area.

I have been a gardener for sixty (60) years. I love to help new gardeners get started. Just like my uncle helped me get started in the hills of Kentucky at the age (smile) of three. I helped.

You have a great day, from Los Angeles.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment