Monday, March 31, 2014

What's a nice souvenir/gift from New Zealand?




Tammy


I have a cousin coming home from New Zealand (South Island) and she asks what I want from there. I already have gone visiting in Auckland and Wellington and found nothing interesting to take home except for cheese and kiwi. What other specialities are there to give as gifts?


Answer
Wine! NZ only exports their worst wines (thanks Montana... not). Burnt Spur Vineyards Russian Jack Pinot Noir. They don't export it. And God, I miss it. If you like a less spicy Pinot Noir, go for the Rabbit Ranch. Or Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc. Yeah okay I tended bar in NZ.

Other than wine, NZ's best stuff are the little crafts. I bought my girlfriend a pair of earrings from a little gallery in Cromwell, outside Queenstown. Arts and crafts fairs are everywhere in NZ (like the Arts Centre in Christchurch), even locally owned galleries/boutiques and if your cousin has good taste, she could find you something unique.

But if you want something more "NZ specific", I'd go with All Blacks attire. I have an All Blacks shirt and tie and people always stop me and say, "All Blacks!" They're only the best rugby team in the world. Then again, you could've picked those up in Welly/Auckland...

And yep - Greenstone, Paua, and carved bone are cool - though gimmicky and often cheap in quality - watch that. And Manuka Honey's a specialty.

Phew.

When is the Twilight movie being released in NZ?




Charlee





Answer
A lovely Christmas gift for yourself

Currently slated for 12-25-08




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment