Sunday, June 8, 2014

Ear rings to help fight cancer?




Computer G


Does anyone know a fund where I can donate jewelry for women who go through chemo? Is there such a cause?


Answer
Call your local cancer infusion center and ask them if you can donate the jewelry to women currently getting treatment for breast cancer. Many oncology centers have "free to cancer patients" displays either at the front desk or in the infusion or treatment rooms where a patient can pick out and keep knitted caps, scarves, radiation pillows and various other specialized items that previous patients make for their hobby and then donate these items to people currently going through the chemo or radiation. Since the giver already knows how difficult it is for some people when they lose their hair, what better gift can they give than a choice of various hats or caps or scarves made with love and then donated anonymously for the benefit of cancer patients. Your jewelry would fill the same need to help brighten the day of women fighting breast cancer.

My sister just found out she has Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I want to send her a care package. What should i include?




Amy


She lives 3 hours from me and we haven't been very close the passed year or so. I want to help and make her feel comfortable but I don't know what to send her. She will be starting Chemo soon. Any ideas?
I will definitely be going to visit her as well but I want to send her something for when I can't be there. I should also mention that I am 7 months pregnant and travel is very limited for me right now. If someone can send like a good list of things that might help her feel comfortable when I cant be right next to her that would be great.



Answer
My mother went through chemo for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 18 months ago. I found that it was the little things that counted when it came to gifts. Most chemo patients get nausea and their taste buds are affected so avoid sending food until you know what she can handle. When visiting my mother I would often take her carrot cupcakes or coffee when she was well enough.

Chemo patients are not allowed flowers so I bought her a little plastic bouncing solar powered flower for her hospital room. It was not expensive but she loved it and was always repositioning it so it was in the sun. A woman that my mother roomed with at one point would decorate the head of the bed with artificial orchids. Chemo drys out the skin so a quality moisturiser is a must, however it should have no scent. Scents (good or bad) can trigger nausea. A sorbelene based moisturiser is good.

All the usual things for a hospital stay are good: Nightwear, slippers, dressing gowns, books, dvds, music, sudokus, etc. My Aunt sent over a nightdress and slippers for my mum.

Gifts that are symbolic or have meaning to your sister are always good. For example at a time when my mother was feeling particularly low I bought her an 'Angel of Hope' figurine by WillowTree for her to keep at her bedside. She's now in remission but still keeps the angel beside her bed.

It is the little things that help a cancer sufferer to get through their treatment. Something to make them laugh, something to make them comfortable, something to show you care. You know your sister better than us so you would be the best judge there. And don't forget to call her. If you can't visit, call. Or skype if you can. Cancer can be very isolating so it is important that you keep in touch any way you can.

Best of luck to your sister and good luck to you with your baby as well.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment