Monday, May 5, 2014

I want to give a gift to a Vietnamese woman...?




Bunny Girl


I've been working with a factory in Vietnam who have been very accommodating. I have only communicated by email and I am not on personal terms but I would like to send a gift to show my appreciation for all their hard work. I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Is anyone familiar with Vietnamese culture who could suggest anything. Food is not an option as it has to be sent from England.


Answer
Gift giving in business relationships is very common in Vietnam. However, it should not be something expensive as the person you give it to may be made to feel uncomfortable.
Flowers and food are both common gifts but as you are sending it from overseas these will not work.
Something from your business which has a logo (pens, cups, picture frames, etc.) are a good choice or something which represents your country (a local craft, small painting, a scarf froma British designer, etc.) are all good choices.
Keep in mind that Vietnamese culture can be very collectivist so showing your appreciation to a team of people as opposed to one person is also good, even if it is just writing a letter commending the whole team and sending the gift to your personal contact is a great idea.
The concept of "Face" is very active in Vietnamese culture so please keep this in mind while gift giving. Do not give anything quite personal (perfume, intimate items) or too expensive.

What kind of gifts do Vietnamese people want from the US?




JOANN B


I will be visiting my family next month in Vietnam and would like to bring them some gifts. My mom (who's vietnamese) says that things that are distincty american are a hot commodity (like Levi's, etc) Are American brands big there? My cousins range in age from 22 to 40, male and female. What would be appropriate?


Answer
Don't bother bringing garments unless they are "uniquely" American. For instance, my wife's family has an excellent collection of Red Sox/Patriots game jerseys and t-shirts.
High end brands such as Polo, La Coste , etc. are incredibly low priced in Vn ($5 for Polo shirts).
I usually bring chocolate for the women, two bottles of good American bourbon for the men, and toys for the kids. Being a man, I also bring a box of Cuban cigars for our manly style enjoyment (bought at Tan Son Nhut or Inchon International) I travel to Vn often and whenever I see a good sale or go to a discount store, I'll load up on those kinds of things.
Viets on the whole also love electronic gadgets. I don't know your budget, but mp3 players and walkmans are pretty popular. One thing that is a status symbol in Vn is a cell phone. My wife always gets my new cell (from resigning my contract), and passes last years model to someone in her family.
Another really great gift is American food. My most popular request is to bring more jello and pudding. Everyone loves it.
I've also brought canned goods like white clam sauce, "unusual" pasta (multi colored elbows etc) and once, I even brought a live 10 lb Maine lobster.
Last, but not least, is flower and vegetable seeds. Even city dwellers can grow flowers and most Vn veggies are tiny by comparison to what Burpee sells.
Hope this helps !




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment